The linguistics department at Brigham Young University invites applications for a continuing faculty status (equivalent to tenure-track) faculty position. The call is for individuals with particular emphasis in Editing and Publishing. Please share with students, colleagues, and professional contacts.
Complete Announcement and to apply:
Job Title: Professor of Linguistics–Editing and Publishing
Job Classification: Faculty CFS — Professorial
Posting close date: August 31, 2021
Start date of this position: August 1, 2022
Required Degree: PHD in a field that is demonstrably applicable to editing and publishing. Such fields might include–but are not restricted to–publishing studies, linguistics, English language, writing studies, composition, English, rhetoric, and technical or professional communication. Required degree must be completed by the start date.
- Ability to teach core courses in editing and publishing
- Evidence of scholarly research and research agenda
- Commitment to student mentoring
- Willingness to support and grow a burgeoning undergraduate editing and publishing major
- Professional editing or publishing experience. This experience could include a specialty in copywriting, trade books, scholarly publication, fiction, textbooks, journals, magazines, digital publishing, or the business of publishing.
- Connection to publishing professionals and industry
- Ability to serve on thesis committees (reader or chair) in TESOL or linguistics
- Ability to make connections between candidate’s scholarship and the field of linguistics
- Willingness to collaborate with undergraduate and graduate students on student- and faculty-led research projects
- Understanding of the field of linguistics and ability to teach general courses in linguistics or English language programs
Primary responsibilities under a 10-month contract will include:
- Teaching six courses per year primarily in BYU’s editing and publishing major or editing minor. Teaching responsibilities may also include courses in linguistics or English language, including advanced courses in areas of specialization, depending upon the successful candidate’s expertise.
- Conducting and publishing research applicable to editing or publishing
- Mentoring students in scholarly research, presenting professional papers, publishing peer-reviewed articles, and grant writing
- Completing other departmental or college responsibilities, such as student advising, program coordination and development, committee service, shared governance, and disciplinary service
For questions about the position or BYU’s academic culture, you are welcome to contact me by email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Thanks very much,