The Department of Education at Dixie State University (DSU) in St. George, Utah, invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track Assistant Professor to begin July 1, 2020. The Education Department prepares its students to be outstanding teachers within diverse and changing communities through the integration of leadership, scholarship, reflection, and community partnerships. More information about the department and its programs can be found online at https://education.dixie.edu. Responsibilities
- Teach specialized pedagogy classes in either social studies, literacy, and/or teaching English language learners (ELLs).
- Teach general pedagogy courses for the Elementary Education program.
- Assist in the development of new curriculum and programs.
- Assist in meeting requirements of national accreditation, as well as state and national Department of Education teacher education standards.
- Work with the local school district personnel to ensure the DSU Elementary Education program successfully prepares students to teach at the elementary level.
- Supervise and mentor DSU students in field experience settings.
- Fulfill faculty responsibilities including holding office hours, advising students, attending faculty and other DSU meetings, and serving on university, college, and department committees.
- Provide regular institutional service as outlined in Regent and University policy.
- Adhere to department, college, and university policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Department Chair and/or Dean.
- Doctorate degree in Teacher Education, Elementary Education, or related field required.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience teaching students in grades K-6.
- Content expertise in social sciences, literacy, and/or teaching English language learners (ELLs) preferred.
- Demonstrated ability in successful teaching. Finalists will be required to demonstrate competence through a teaching demonstration.
- Demonstrated ability and interest in creative, unique, and effective approaches to teacher education.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, both orally and in writing.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Candidates must have excellent knowledge and skills with technology, including online instruction.
CONTRACT: Full-time (9-month) tenure-track faculty position. Pay & benefits begin July 1, 2020 (service begins in early August). Annual salary of $53,000+, depending on qualifications & experience (paid over 12 months, July – June). Additional compensation available for summer/overload teaching. Excellent benefits package included–see https://humanresources.dixie.edu/employee-benefits/ under “Example of DSU Benefits” for more details.